Feedback strategies: Not just praise!

 1) The Trouble with “Amazing”: Giving Praise that Matters

https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/the-trouble-with-amazing/

I chose this article because I often use the word "Amazing" to describe people and their actions. Now the title discouraged me a little and I felt guilty for all the times I have used amazing as praise for my peers but once I read the article I remembered that just because I have not given great feedback so far does not mean I cannot learn. I really liked how the author explained that using just the word amazing can often generalize success. One of the main stories in this article that stuck out to me was when one friend told another they looked pretty and the response was "why?" This resonated with me because I need to describe why I thought the story was amazing and not just generalize the whole story. Knowing why one is succeeding is much more important than just the fact of success. This article also made me realize that I can give some advice on how to improve without discouraging future actions of the authors. My favorite comment on one of my stories explained why the reader enjoyed the story but also felt the ending was "practical." This stung slightly because I want to improve my writing and the sting went away when I realized that I DO want to improve my writing and I can use the comments in order to do that.

2) How to Give Bad Feedback without being a Jerk

https://nextbigideaclub.com/adam-grant-give-bad-feedback-without-jerk/8968/

I chose this article because I constantly refrain from giving feedback because I am so afraid of how it will make the author feel. I do not want anyone to feel like they did not do well but this is the point where I have to remind myself that everyone is just working to improve. I felt this article very helpful because it explains how to give good feedback without making someone feel inferior. One way to do this is expressing how feedback has helped you grow so you want to help others grow as well. Also, including why you are giving feedback can show that you're not just pointing out what you think needs improvement but why you think that change should be made.

In it together!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a dog lover without a plan

Week 2 Story: Perception vs. Reality