Reading Notes: Why the Owl is not the King of Birds (A)

 Source: Why the Owl is not the King of Birds

By Ellen C. Babbitt

I chose this story because Owls were my favorite animal when I was a kid. This is off topic but it reminded me of when I got in trouble as a kid, and my parents were going to tell the story at a big family dinner. To save myself from embarrassment, I yelled, "An owl says HOO!!!" Then everyone erupted in laughter knowing what I was trying to do. Maybe I will incorporate something like that in my stories.

The story started off with a question which is the first time I have read a story start with a question. I like this approach because it gives the question the story was made to answer.

Each group has their own king, which is somewhat true in the real world in the sense of a hierarchy and the past of man-kind. However, the birds were the only ones without a king. So after lots of discussion, the birds finally chose the owl as their king.

The title of the story already gives it away that the owl will not be the king, so it leads the reader to wonder what is going to happen. If the birds chose the owl as king, why is the owl not the king of birds?

The only bird to disagree was the crow, which a reader could guess from the second sentence in the story talking about how crows and owls hate each other.

The crow did not want the owl as king because of the angry look the owl had on his face. If the owl was that angry when he was happy, how angry would he look when he was actually mad? This point made all the other birds worry, while it made the owl angry.

From then on the owls and crows hated each other, and the new king was chosen which was the turtle dove. The birds chose a peaceful, kind looking bird to be their king because of the crow's remarks!

The sour owl


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a dog lover without a plan

Week 2 Story: Perception vs. Reality